2nd of March, 2023
The skin is the largest organ of our body, so we really should treat it with care. Conventional skincare and beauty products contain chemical toxins that can be very destructive. Some very common skincare ingredients have been linked to serious health problems, including cancer, reproductive and neurological harm, and disruption of the endocrine system.
There are some wonderful alternative products available - natural cosmetic products made from raw materials sourced from nature and from renewable sources. The raw materials go through the least amount of processing and these methods do not impact humans or the earth.
However, there is no formal system that regulates the term “natural” and what this term means, so it can be used to cover a variety of shades of natural.
So how can you tell whether products labelled natural are really that?
Essentially, here is a list of harmful chemicals to avoid in any skincare products, so do check the ingredients on the products you use, and avoid the following:
• Parabens – chemical preservatives
• Sulphates – used as foaming agents
• Phthalates – used as lubricants and softeners
• Fragrance – could be very toxic unless specified as pure essential oils
• Phenoxyethanol – anti-bacterial agent
• PEG’s – a range of polyethylene glycols
• Petrochemicals – including mineral oil, petroleum jelly, etc.
The other concern is the environmental impact and sustainability of ingredients used.
Ecocert (worldwide) and their COSMOS certification for natural and organic cosmetics have developed extensive guidelines and approval processes of ingredients used in cosmetic products.
COSMOS certification guarantees:
• Environmentally friendly production and processing
• Responsible use of natural resources
• Respect of biodiversity
• Absence of the above harmful products
• Absence of GMO
Moya Essentials uses only Ecocert and COSMOS approved ingredients in our products. They are also locally and sustainably produced right here in the Southern Peninsula – real natural products!
Available online at www.moyaessentials.com.